Qatar hosts UN Day 2019
On 24th of October 2019, the Permanent Mission of the State of Qatar hosted for the first time in history the United Nations (UN) Day event and concert in New York.
An annual celebration of the UN’s global efforts and achievements since 1945, this year’s UN Day took place under the theme of: “Building Prosperity for All through Culture, Education, Gender Equality, Sports, and Sustainability”.
Marking the 74th anniversary of the UN Charter entering into force, the UN Day 2019 featured keynote addresses from Qatari and UN officials, including:
- HE Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, Qatar’s Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs
- HE Hassan Al Thawadi, Secretary General of the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy
- Melissa Fleming, Under Secretary General & Communications and Chief Spokesperson for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Tijjani Muhammad-Bande of Nigeria, President of the UN General Assembly
- António Guterres, Secretary General of UN
In addition to keynote addresses, panel discussions and briefings, the UN Day also featured spectacular performances by the Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra and prominent Qatari artists, including Dana Al Fardan, Hala Al Emadi and Aisha.
The concert aimed to highlight the Sustainable Development Goals and the urgent need to fully implement the 2030 Agenda to bring long-lasting benefits to communities, regions and countries.
The UN Day 2019 was organised by the Permanent Mission of the State of Qatar to the United Nations, and with support from the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy and the Doha Film Institute.